After the gym in the mornings, I always make a green smoothie as my recovery shake. Since I am taking today as a rest day, I decided to change things up. I went with a vegan chocolate chip and oatmeal protein shake. Excitedly, it came out delicious and filling.
In this recipe, you can easily substitute chia for flaxseed. If you do use flax, you would not have to soak it. In addition, you can add a tbsp. of nut butter in the blender if desired. If you do try any variations, comment below and let me know what you used and how it came out.
In the mean time, here is the recipe for a vegan chocolate chip and oatmeal protein shake:
1 c Unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c Plain quick/instant Oats
1.5 tbsp Unsweetened carob chips (or dark chocolate chips)
1 scoop Protein powder
1 tbsp Chia seeds
1. In a blender, pour the almond milk and chia seeds. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the protein powder and ice then blend.
3. In a cup, pour 2 tbsp. of instant oats and 1 tbsp. of carob or chocolate chips.
4. Pour the blended mixture into the cup.
5. Top the shake with 2 tbsp of instant oats and 1/2 tbsp. of carob or chocolate chips.
Here are the nutritional facts for the products that I used:
Silk – Original Almond Milk (unsweetened)
Market Pantry – Quick Oats (100% All Natural Whole Grain)